Weeks of hard work... and our charting engine is live! It's primed for fundamental charting and is rearing to be used and tested.
You can now find our beta Chart Engine under the "Charts" tab in your Dashboard menu (you will need access to the STRIDE engine. If you don't have access, sign up for a free trial here).
In the 5 steps below, we explain how you can create your financial charts on our engine. Please do note that our charting system is meant for fundamental charting only (at this point in time). There is no technical charting functionality (e.g. on price). That means that our Chart Engine is not for people who want to draw Elliot waves and Bollinger bands, but rather for those who want to chart information about a company and its specifics.
Create Your Financial Charts with STRIDE
1. Choose your securities
Create a chart by searching for a company (e.g. Apple Inc.) and a competitor (Microsoft Corporation) under the "Securities" tab. You can search by either the company's full name or its stock symbol (e.g. AAPL).
2. Choose your metrics
Once your securities are selected (you can select more than two), it's time to choose which metrics you'll compare these against. Under the "Metrics" tab, you can search for keywords to find the metrics that you're looking for (e.g. total revenue).
If you can't find the metrics you're looking for in this way, you can browse the Metrics tab by clicking "Browse metrics" to the right of the tab. In the window that pops up, you can then select different metrics from within these six groups:
- Income Statement
- Balance Sheet
- Cash Flow
- Per Share Measures
For example, "Total Revenues" would be found in a company's income statement. Once you've found the metric that you're looking for, simply double click to select it (or single click to see the description of what makes up that metric, if it has one). Like with securities, you can enter more than one metric to compare, if you'd like to.
3. Enter your chart's options
When you're done selecting your metrics, select your Chart Options from the following tabs:
- Period: Select over which reporting period your chart's data will reflect: Annual, Quarterly, Year To Date (YTD), Last Twelve Months (LTM) or Semi-annual.
- Type: Select in which style your chart will be displayed: Area Spline, Area, Spline, Line, Column, Bar or Scatter. *
- Panels: Select how you will segment your chart/s: single panel, split charts by security or split charts by metric.
- Currency: This gives you the option to convert your chart to US dollars or to keep it in its reported currency (this helps to inform you of the strength of a country's currency, and how that is effecting your chosen securities).
* What's so great about the our beta Charting Engine is that you can select what type of chart to build. This is a unique feature to visualise your chart in different ways, and you'll find that most other charting engine competitors only offer line charts.
4. Build your chart
Now simply click "Build Chart" and let our engine create your requested chart, like so:
5. Edit or save your chart
From this point, you can decide to edit your chart further by adding more metrics or securities, or to save/export it (we'll get to that in a moment).
You can also highlight a detailed position in the chart by hovering over one of the chart's marked points, like this:
To export or save your chart, you simply need to select one of the tabs in the top left titled "Export Charts" and "Saved Charts". You can either export your chart as an PNG image (square or tall, depending on your preference) or as a CSV file. If you've separated your charts by metric or securities, then these will download as separate files. As you'll see below, our embed function is coming soon!
The other option is to save your chart/s to your STRIDE account, to access at any point in the future for download or changes. This is done by clicking on the "Saved Charts" tab above the export option, and then selecting "Save As". You'll be prompted to name your chart, and then it will be stored in your Saved Charts folder.
Once you've named and saved charts in your account, you will be able to access them at any time by clicking on the "Saved Charts" tab and selecting "Open". You can then save, rename, close, delete or edit saved charts once re-opened.
What's still to come
That's right, we're not done! This is only the beta version of our charting engine, and in the weeks and months to come, we'll be adding the following functions:
- The ability to do technical charting
- An embed feature
- Design functionality (e.g. add a title and subtitle, change colour palettes, etc.)
For those of you who don't have a registered STRIDE account, you can easily get one to test out our new feature. Just sign up for a free trial below, and remember to let us know what you think of our charting engine after trying it out.